Pages

Thursday, March 30, 2017

The Big Green House and why we hated it

Listen to the article:
Thumbnail reading The Big Green House and why we Hated it


The Big Green House


I lived in that house from the time I was born until I was about 7 or 8 years old, but my family had lived there longer. The house was owned by my grandparents but after they decided to move into something that was smaller and only one floor, the house was passed on to my parents. I hated that house. I hated it for far too many reasons to count.

It was a big green house off of a pretty busy road. The house was just old. There were a lot of damages here and there that had flew under the radar for far too long. The roof was kind of weak. The floors were in kind of rough shape. At one point there was a hole in the bathroom floor about the size of a bowling ball. There was a small leak in the plumbing that went unnoticed for so long that the floor of the bathroom, and the ceiling of the kitchen, which was right below the bathroom, finally caved in.

Strange Happenings


There were a lot of reasons to hate living in that house, but none of those were the ones that actually made us all hate it. It was the strange things that happened. All the weird noises that couldn't be explained. Even with the bad plumbing, and parts of the house being in such bad shape, there is nothing that could explain these noises. These weren't bad pipes making weird noises.

It was a rare occasion that everyone was out of the house at once. One day, on just that occasion, my father decided to leave an old tape recorder on and see if we could hear anything out of the ordinary. The whole tape was filled with the sounds of stuff being shuffled around the house. We could hear glasses clinking together in the kitchen. It literally sounded like someone had just let themselves in and hung out for an hour and half like they lived there. That wasn't even the bizarre part. The craziest part of the whole tape was the foot steps. It was loud steps, like high heels, and it just moved freely through the house.

Catching a quick glimpse of something out of the corner of your eye, maybe just your eyes playing tricks on you, sure. Having that creepy feeling that you are being watched, only to look up and see a reflection in a TV screen of someone standing behind you, watching you? That's not your eyes playing tricks on you. The TV was off, by the way.

When I was about three years old, my oldest sister was watching me and my younger brother. My parents were just down the road at a friends house. My sister decided to give us a quick bath before putting us in bed. We were the only three home at the time. My sister had just put us into the bath tub and started to wash us up, when she heard footsteps in the hallway. Shortly after, the door knob to the bathroom started to jiggle, like someone was trying to get in. She assumed that my parents must be home, she yells "one minute, I'll unlock it". As she turns to the door, a hand comes through the door, right about where the knob is.My sister panics and gets us out of the tub, getting us dressed as quickly as possible. She rips the door open and starts checking the house. No one was home yet. It was still just the three of us there. (Obviously being only three years old at the time, I have no recollection of this happening personally.)

Some of the worst was the recurring nightmares. I found out way later in life that my Father was plagued by the same dreams. My sisters also had dreams of a similar nature, but not quite the same as mine.

Bad Company


Everyone who ever stayed in that house with us, had a bizarre story to tell the next morning. My cousin, who was in his early 20's at this time, stayed in the basement for a little while. He too had recurring nightmares while he stayed in that house. I had an uncle who stayed with us briefly after being discharged from the army after Desert Storm. He would wake up in the night and see strange lights moving around the house. He also heard a lot of the strange noises that I spoke of before.

Even after moving out of that house, it was like my family maintained this weird connection with the house. About two years ago, we all started to have weird dreams about that house. This house was long forgotten by us, and down right intentionally too. These dreams came out of nowhere. Myself, my brother, both sisters, father, and mother all started to have vivid dreams about this house, like it was calling us back. My oldest sister, being the soldier that she is decided to call a Realtor to see if we could walk through the house. The Realtor informed us that the house had just been condemned and marked for demolition, so walking through it was not an option.

Why after all this time, did we start to have all of these weird dreams about that house? Was it calling us back to save it from the demo crew? The whole situation with that house was just insane. 

No comments:

Post a Comment